How To Restore Broken Relationships

Relationships are at the core of what it means to be human. Nobody wants to live life alone, nobody wants to live life without warm, loving relationships. Where do we get this strong desire for relationships? We get it from God. We were created in God’s image and God Himself consists of a relationship between the three persons of the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So God created us to have a loving relationship with Himself and to have loving relationships with other people. Whether you’re a believer or not, every human being has the innate desire to have those two basic relationships with God and with people. Today I’m going to focus on our relationships with other people, but your relationship with God is actually the most important.

Last week we talked about Growing Together In A Life Group, building relationships with new people. Each of us needs to learn to build the relationships in our lives that God has blessed us with. NLT Philippians 2:1-2 Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one heart and purpose. There you have God’s will for the family of God, we should agree wholeheartedly with each other, we should love one another and we should work together with one heart and purpose. Those three things are also God’s will for your family, agreeing with one another, loving one another and working together with one purpose.

Yet sometimes things go wrong and relationships that were once warm and close become cold and distant. Relationships that were once loving become broken. What should you do when a relationship becomes broken? Should you just give up on it? Look elsewhere for a new one? I believe that relationships are worth salvaging, so today I’m going to talk about How To Restore Broken Relationships. Those who restore broken relationships are peacemakers because broken relationships lead to conflict arguments and fights.

NLT Matthew 5:9 God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God. The blessing of God is upon those who work for peace the blessing of God is on those who restore broken relationships. They will be called the children of God. Why? Because peacemakers are acting like their heavenly Father who made peace with us through the death of Jesus. So now lets see what God’s Word teaches about how to restore broken relationships in your life.

Think about the relationships in your life. Some may be going good, but there may be others that are strained or completely broken. Keep the one in mind that is the biggest problem in your life right now as we look at God’s Word.

To hear more about this topic, listen to my June 11, 2006 message entitled How To Restore Broken Relationships

Play

Tags:

Comments

Jennifer 11-08-2013, 09:13

I have been praying so hard for my son’s father and I to heal our relationship. I just can’t give up and I have been trying so hard to improve myself and keep loving him. I don’t know how to reach him emotionally and get past the logic/humanism that is blocking my faith, hope, love. Please pray for us and that grace is allowed to move in us to create an atmosphere conducive of love, respect, trust, and growth. I miss the love we had and do not want finances or worldly things to get in the way of our communication and the commitment we had made to each other.

Quita 21-08-2013, 21:55

I’m praying for the restoration of my broken relationship with my BF Prince. I’m asking that God change is heart and reunite us to a stronger front then we ever were. In the name of Jesus, I ask that God continues to work on me as well to be more understand and less argumentative. In the name if Jesus I confess and repent of all my sins and wrong doing that case the relationship to break. I ask that God I. The name of Jesus prevent and keep these issue away from my relationship in the future. You know my heart n my love for him. I thank you in advance for working things out in our favor and bring us back together. In Jesus name, Amen

anita 28-12-2013, 14:38

i am also under going the same situation and really know what your are going through but let us pray for one another because God is there for us and has already worGmailk ed on our issue.Amen.

Nika 29-08-2013, 09:48

I’m praying so hard for my BF and I. I’ve never loved a guy like this before. In the beginning everything seems okay, but now, I feel like his love is fading away. He also cheated on me, and everyone says that I’m stupid to still be with him. But i have faith and i believe that he can change. I’m willing to put it behind me and work on our future together. But idk. I pray that god help my situation with him.

Chelle 31-08-2013, 09:43

I am asking for prayer and believing in my heart and soul for the restoration of my relationship with Kenny. In the Name of Jesus!Our Heavenly Father never gives up on us, and nothing is impossible for Him. I have loved this man for 8 years and I will not give up by running to someone else. I pray that a hedge of thorns (2:6-7) will wall up Kenny, and he will not find his path, and all of his lovers will lose interest in him and he will return to God and myself. That we will receive double of what was lost. That God works a work in Kenny and myself that a Ministry is formed through our lives and we have a blessed union into God Jesus and the Holy Spirit! And! In when this manifest in the natural I will tell the World of the good news of God! In Jesus Name! Amen!

Julien 12-09-2013, 11:46

My relationship is broken with my gf.She doesn t listen me,she does not believe nothing I say.She s extreme jealious,and I know it’s my fault things I did in the past.But I also know that part of it was her fault too.We went tru alot of fights and stuff.But I didn t have enough knowledge,and I didn t act how I supose to.I love her with all my heart,and I feel empty and nothing without her.Only god helping me holding my heart. She has alot of unforgieveness in her heart.It s very difficult for her to forgieve others.The past keep coming back,even I changed alot for her.But she does not believe It.She broke up with me,and I’m praying to god for restoration and to give me power to survieve and make her happy.I know if I cry and make myself depressed like b4 it won t change.she abbused me alot emotionally but I realized it,she did that cause she was still hurt of the past she did not forgive and give a proper chance.So she revenge by hurting me emotionally.Im kind of person who like s to fix everything.But she doesn t like to fix,or talk about things. What she does is ” just don t think about it” so she don’t actually fix the problem just put it on me and leave it in the past it. Coming back presence and affects the future. I completelly forgieve her for everything and I accepted the way she is and I know why she s like this.We completelly not talking anymore.But things we went tru together,and so much memories,to be honest I feel like I belong to her.We wanted to marry too,but she change her mind so fast.Sometimes I feel like her door is completelly open to the dark.But I don t know.She believe in god,but she don t pay to much attention about it. Thank you for reading this,please pray for us. GOD BLESS!”

Rita 13-09-2013, 04:14

i have dated my fiancee Charles for the past two years now and suddenly the devil broke into our relationship but since God is a God of love and restorer i know and believe he will join us once together again.God said he will never leave us alone so he definitely will not leave my relationship to be broken.Thank you Lord for restoring Charles and I back once again.So shall it be Amen.

Kate 14-09-2013, 06:51

I am asking for prayers for my broken relationship with my boyfriend. I have been praying for months and there has been progress, but we are still not back together. God brought this man into my life and I gave him all of my unconditional love. I refuse to believe God brings two people together just for them to end up hurting each other. We bring such balance to each other, and such joy to each other’s lives, that I have begged and pleaded with God to open up my ex boyfriend’s heart and resurrect our relationship. It is such a small miracle in the context of God’s works, yet to two people it is the world, it is the future, it is the most massive and valuable of blessings. Lord, we had planned our future, we had spent nights talking about what our wedding would someday be like, we had our children’s names picked out. I know we both still want that, but just do not know how to get there. Please forgive our mistakes Lord, open our hearts, and give us this miracle. Please do not delay….we have been hurting for much too long. I do not want to waste another day on this earth not giving my love to the man that You have blessed me with. With you I have the deepest faith that this will happen. Thank you Lord. Amen.

Lee 26-09-2013, 03:40

Hi. I am in a situation very similar to yours. I wanted to say that I will pray for you and for your relationship to be restored and better than ever. I hope your prayers are answered very soon.

Eve 29-11-2013, 07:41

Amen! Kate, God is a lover of blissful relationships. He’s that potter to remoulds broken pots, sure he’ll do same to you both. Amen

dolphi 23-09-2013, 20:36

praise the Lord.

my name is dolphi i loved one girl from fore year.. we both r teachers and same cast.. we are far relatives thats why her mother had bitten to her and made us separate… i didn’t get what to do so i prayed to jesus…. her mother made engagement with someone and he got to know our matter and he left…. so again my girl did contact and said that all r agree in her home bt her mother only forcing her to marry with someone otherwise she ll die…. so my girl get scared about this and daily crying only… she cant come out becouse of her house respect and her small sister future matter so she is sacrificed everything and now again her mother forced her to marry with another person and what happened i dnt knw.. my girl agreed for this marriage…. bt we both r loving truly we had one dream that we should build own house and after that we should go to our parents to agree for our marriage so same as she wish i brought one site and i built one house.. last week only it got finish…. bt now her mother made this much wrong with me….. plz pray for me i was poor bt i made struggle in my life day and night and i done what want and i helped my girl and her parents in their needy time… i gave education to her sister… i gave everything behind their eyes…. but now all r cheating me so plz pray for me i cant live without her and she also…. day by day she is dying herself… plz pray for us….. my girl name is twinkle. her mother name is sofia and that new person who is ready to marry that person name is praveen and my name is dolphi….. plz pray for us…….may jesus show them truthful life and make miracle…. may jesus dnt let them to do cheat with me. plz pray for us… there is no time… her mother ll spoil our life within this month as doing engagement with someone else so plz help me… i knw my lord is there he ll make my way…. plz pray for me… especially for her mother sophia.

plz help me…. what her mother said i dnt know… what type of promises she took from my girl bt my girl also crying and saying that which boy u ll show for him i ll marry…. brother there is no god more than her mother or what…. if god see our pain means he has to stop that know… everywhere they spread wrong message about me to escape… so now exect marry with her there is no way for me… only one way is there to get suicide against my lord becoz i cant leave… im a normal teacher i was teacher part time also for my poor life and i helped my girl and her family too bt now everywhere they spread wrong message about me and also made separate from my girl so nw nobody r there to send their child to learn from me…. so they spoiled my life so now only one way is there that is to kill myself…. plz pray for me if my lord want to save my life then he may show the way that my girl family can agree for our marrige… bt already they agreed someone to do marrige with my girl…. so plz pray for me my lord may help me….. plz pray for me… plz pray for twinkle and her mother sophia…. may god show them theirs sin… and my girl also may know the reality and she may talk to me … plz pray for us… may god do miracle in our life and he may settle our life in our marrige….. plz pray for me brother.. monday we r going to talk with girl individually so my parents ll give support to her so she may agree for true and she may come with us so plz pray for her… im also in fasting prayer.. plz pray for my girl twinkle and her mother sophia..

Chermaine 28-09-2013, 10:30

Please pray for me and my ex boyfriend, Daryl. We had recently broken up and it was a sudden break up too, no one had expected it to happen. He feels that he is too stressed from his work and can’t be committed in a relationship right now. Please pray that he will see that love can only bring you to greater heights, and not bring you down. We never had a huge fight, ever, and I try to be an understanding girlfriend. Somehow, his stress got the better of him and he decides to break up saying that “he has lost all feelings for me”. I don’t believe that he can lose his feelings so suddenly, he’s just blinded by the stress.

Please pray for us to have communication so that we will be able to talk things out.
Please bring our hearts close together again, and fill his heart with love for me.

I’m afraid that I will lose my ex boyfriend for good. I’m holding on to the faith that God will be able to restore my relationship with him, because He is able to perform miracles. I’ve done everything I could have done within my reach, and now I leave it in the hands of God.

I do love him, and I believe that he’s the One for me. He is a really great guy, the best even. We met through my best friend, who is his cousin, on my birthday. I believe that God had put him in my life for a reason, and also, for us to meet on that day. I believe that God will be able to heal my broken relationship with him, and bring him back to me. I have faith and trust in Him, as He is able to do miraculous things.

He is really the guy I want to see in the long run. Help pray for our reconciliation.
Thank you for your prayers.

emily 06-10-2013, 02:29

Lord Im starting my challange tomro to start fasting for a week and hoping for a miracle for god to restore my broken relationship with my daughters father pray for me everyone Amen

claire 01-11-2013, 02:12

i pray that God restores my relationship with my boyfriend which have been fighting for for a while now.have seen God do great things in my life through prayers.i will not give up because i trust God to do a miracle 4mi iv been battling it out emotionally and spiritually and i know God will make a way nothing is impossible with him .do it for mi my Father in Heaven

doris Pavaday 09-11-2013, 12:15

hey , Pastor’steam , having reading all the one who are having problem in there relatoinship . i can see its not only my daughter she is having a very dificulty and sad with her husband who alway critisiging her now she is stay with me but she is trying hard to keep her marriage work we are very religious and perceverly praying and beleaved God can change life . specialy they have a son who is only 8 years old . need both of them . i would like you to pray for them and would like to see them to get back together. as we dont beleave into devorce . God is good .

Berlinfrance 12-11-2013, 12:16

Lord I’m begging you to restore my relationship with Renata. I have made so many mistakes and I thought I was being a good fiance. I know exactly where things started to go wrong, but back then when she broke up with me I was so blind and hurt that I just did everything wrong. I tried to solve the problems with my own strength and now I know I should have been more patient. I beg you Lord, please work in her heart and ignite her love for me. I humbly ask of You to bring Renata back into my life! Lord forgive me for the times you spoke into my heart and I just didn’t pay due heed to You. I’m asking with the faith that you are already working to restore our love.

asher8988 18-11-2013, 14:00

father,
I ask in your time you can restore the unconditional love, support and compassionate relationship I once had with my ex boyfriend. we were best friends, family and partners. please allow the Holy Spirit to enter both our souls and hearts, and allow us to join our hearts as one again and love in your name and to love to fulfill your purpose. Use us as a miracle to those who don’t believe in your healing , trust and promise. Use our relationship and love for eachother to be public servants in your name. Let us both forgive eachothers past mistakes and sins, enter into eachothers hearts peacefully, kindly, and with the sole purpose to love undconditional in your name. I pray you can open his heart to compassion understanding forgiveness and healing in our love for eachother. I believe and trust in your in plan father and I trust and believe that our relationship will be restored that the love we have and had for eachother was pure. In your name lord , please hear my prayer. In Jesus name , amen.

Sue 04-12-2013, 07:49

Praying that God may bring Raphael back home and restore our relationship.

Kieta 04-12-2013, 15:29

God of Jacob, I pray that everyone on this site that has petition you for restoration of a relationship, receive it now in Jesus Name. According to John 14:14, I decree and declare in the Heavens and on Earth, that relationships are being healed from the root. God I know that you are able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all that we could ask or think!!! So I trust you to restore all broken relationships..Heal the people in the relationship. Create a new love in them for you and each other. All these things, I consider done….In Jesus Name! Amen and Amen!!

Minni mo 06-01-2014, 11:52

Lord Jesus, son of God I come to you humble. I ask that you restore my relationship with my daughters father. Lord I pray that you restore things better than ever. We’ve had our share of problems but after it all I know we love one another but more so we love out daughter and she deserves us both. The devil is already defeated! My God is already working it out! Jesus I stand in faith knowing that this is already done! Lord thank you for restoration in 2014

John Redman 15-01-2014, 04:35

Love these prayers, they give me hope of restoration. My 5 children have been estranged from me for about 17 years. It’s sad because it came as a result of a lie from one of my sons. He was angry because of the divorce and he lied to hurt me. It was a really damaging kind of lie so it really hurt all of my children because they believed him. I swear under Heaven it wasn’t true. How can my son live under that kind of lie that he knows in his mind is not true? I can’t even talk about this with my friends because people I’ve found think that there must be some truth to something so horrible. I will not make myself transparent to others who know me because of how it went before.

Jonathan Martin 21-01-2014, 13:49

Pls pray for my relationship between me and my mom. We used to be best friends and i miss that. Ever since i became a man and indipendent on my own we have drifted apart and our relationship isnt what it used to be, she doesnt want to let go of me and accept that i have became a man. I love my mom more than words could ever express and no1 will take her place

srinath 15-02-2014, 18:29

Pleas pray for my broken relationship i loveher so much

lerato 26-02-2014, 00:59

My prayer is for me and the father of my child to be reconciled. Please help me pray that God softens his heart towards me and our son. I truly believe in my heart we are meant to be and pray that Jesus Christ restores our relationship.

Annie G. 27-02-2014, 10:48

I have a daughter 51 years old, who I have not had a loving relationship with . I made some terrible mistakes after her dad walked out of our lives when she was 9 years old. I didn’t know how to handle the pain, so I turned to alcohol. I worked constantly to keep our heads above water, because I received no child support. She will not let go of the past and accept my husband now of 29 years. She resents him so! I feel torn between him and my daughter, who always wants things her way or else. I would so much like to have a loving relationship with her, but I’m afraid it’s too late after all these years.

stephanie 01-03-2014, 18:42

great article,

sometimes I feel though that certain friendships from the past are not always in God’s will to restore. I wish that were not always the case. There have been friendships in my past where I knew the Lord wanted me to move on. I can still pray for them and love them, but restored fellowship was out of his will due to some revelations I received.

JP 10-03-2014, 22:20

This is God. He confirmed to me a few years ago to stop looking to restore my past relationships because it was not His will. Allow those things which are dead to remain dead. All glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

JP 10-03-2014, 22:51

Lord of my salvation, I need for you to be Jehovah Ropha and heal and restore my relationship with my brother and all those I’m connected to that I have a unhealthy relationship with. I repent oh Lord of any wrongful words or actions I may have said or done. Help me to forgive them for their hurtful words and actions and in return I hope that they will forgive me. Heal our hearts and expand our mindsets, cast down unfruitful thoughts oh Lord. Help us to love one another just as Christ has love us. Help us to take out our own emotions and will and place the mind of Christ as a helmet upon our heads. Help us Lord to be sensitive to each other and considerate of each others feelings, showing compassion as You do. Show us our role that we have played within the broken relationship and help us to change. We are accountable for our part. When we offend others we are offending God. We want to be blameless in thy sight oh Lord. I pray for Your peace and understanding will have complete controll. Mend our hearts and bring forth Your reconciliation Lord Jesus. We thank you and praise You in advance for our victory in You. Thank you for not allowing the enemy success in tearing down what You said was supposed to live and thrive. Amen.

Susanna kumwenda 25-03-2014, 03:52

Please pray for my boyfriend restoration.

Ndivhuwo 12-04-2014, 11:51

Please pray for me also i have been through hardship, i love my son’s father and i want things to be normal, i want him to respect me and my family, commitment, love and acceptance, am not giving up on him so easy, i realy need restoration for this relationship to work again and that my family and his family should have peace and love should be the biggest thing in thier hearts and ours, please please i want God to restore my relationship as soon as it can be